Friday, September 28, 2012

First harvest in Makasa from the old ponds....

Early morning of September 15th, as farmers told me that they will drain the pond from 4am and on but I waited till 6am no one came get me so I went check old and new ponds......New ponds have lots of baby frag - taoes(spilling???).....need it be scooped out before we are receiving fingerling on Tuesday, September 18th.

 
These taoes sure will eat up fish food before fishes really got to eat it.......
 
6:30am farmers came and break the dike, 8am people came with buckets for fishes.....

DAPP volunteer friends came for the fun too.....besides the officials.....

Farmers frisst use the net from DOF but the holes were too large so they changed to their old way - useed mosquitoe net...... 

All hands on......it was a happy time for all....... 
Andrew went in and used his hand to help on the harvest like some farmers did at the side.... 
He got one after many trys...... 
My counterpart - Ba Maxim, show me one largest fish they got.....if not for the total harvest, I would tell him to put it back to water to produce more healthier and larger fingerlings......
Besides they sold the larger fish at the spot, they gave 250 fingerlings to one pond that was in the Do-Op plan when they received these fingerling back in January 2012, and they sold fingerlings to other ponds worth of 250,000 Kwacha.

Afterward, they told me they had total 70.3 kilogram harvested from the four old ponds, that they had 18 kilogram harvested in December 2011.  They credited me for the new pond management.  Thank them very much, but I told them, even I had show them the way, it was them who did the work. Therefore, they should thanks to those who worked hard in the last two months.
No matter what, this two months close watch of their feeding fishes had given them the idea of the more they feed the fish, the more they will have it back at the harvest.
Cheng 9/28/2012

No comments:

Post a Comment