Thursday, August 2, 2012

I'm in Mansa now....and more Kili trip pix yet to come.....

July 27th, I think it was, when we arrived at the Horombo Hut we had been in the hard push of going up to summit and down in a day and a half, sort of.....with little sleep, almost none of resting while at the high elevetion, for guides were afraid that we will get frozen up if we stopped too long....

So this is my calculation: after a day's hike - 6 hours up to Kibo Hut from Horombo Hut, dinner and slept 4-5 hours, 11:00pm on our way up, after tea and toast, 6 hours up to Gillman's Point, 3-1/2 hours down to Kibo Hut, restless two hours in sleeping bag, than tea and soup, 11:00am we were on the way down to Horombo Hut....this night at Horombo Hut, I was still cold to the bone, restless, with heavy "Wood Luck"oiment masaged on my both knees....
We got up, packed and had an early breakfast than at 06:30am we were on the way down, pass the Mandara Hut to the gate. I believe that was July 28th. 
Because my knees' complaint, the guides were suggesting to arrange emergency vihecle for me to go down from Mandara Hut but I still have to walk down to the hut talk to rangers and continue down to meet vihecle half way or wherever......well, it is more than 60% distance to Mandara Hut, if I still have to continue walking down hill, what's point of arranging this vihecle.....so I decided to see how my knees go, up to each of the points......if I can do without these emergency vihecle issues.....besides I do not want my dear grides to leave any record of their customers been hurt... 

My knees were more stiff every morning anyway, so I moved on slowly......at beginning of this morning's walk a group of half a dozen+/- birds sang loudly and followed us for some distance before I realized time to take them pictures.....thanks, birdies...... 

Not long after on the trail, porters of all groups started passing us, with their heavy loads that they brought up....they brought down trushes too.....

further on, the new hikers' porters carrying heavy loads on their way up already....

lowering down, we were back to the forest land.....

lots of shades on the trail and it made the dirt part slippery from the dew......

down to Mandara hut by 11:00am and we loss some layers of clothing and had a water and chacolate break.......the whole trip I had never seen our two guides (Aligus and Abrim - they are brothers) had this kind of relaxing time - just sit and wait for us on the changing of clothes..... 

Lower from Mandara Hut there was this beautiful rain forest, on our way in it was hot and dry and now the dew were dripping down on trail, I thought that it had rained over night.  The guides said "This is dry season, no rain now."

on the way in, we saw monkeys aound here.....but they moved out of the mists to the dry land for sure.
From here on downward, we started to meet the new hikers coming in, panding slowly......Mamamia, they were all smelled of laundry saop and dryer sheet that was so nice....what had they smelled out of us??? Three nights without washing, four, five days' sweat..........






Thanks to Barbara to have waited till I came with two awe knees and the two guides behind me to make sure I was good......they were really ready to carry me down at any time I would allowed them to.....down from Gillman's Point, my guide - the cook, he suggested to carry me down too.....good that language problem was my saver that he let me walk and boot ski down by my own........they had carried my backpack since the third day and on, so I was luck on that account.....


Aren't these all look alike somewhere in our own rain forest in east WA???

Can you see the rounded fruits???  Aligus told me that these are monkey mangoes, not for humen.

If I would have emergency vihecle arranged this might be the point I can meet with them, but it was only 15% more of distance to the gate and I was so happy that I made it that far without more issues.....

Close to gate we found a traditional bee hive......so any bears around???

In Luapula villagers said that if you walk across the ant line, it will bring you luck......hmm, these were double lines.......

At the GATE, Mary Ellen found a chair to have us end this hike in the Olympic style......


Hello, all......I am not any one that doing things for scores, but still I felt great that I have this chance in life to do this sort of things with my dearest PCV friends and with our dearest guides, porters and the cook.  My knees had all the complaints they could but none is really to have stopped me continue on to my journeies.  So you all, please, do not worry for me or my knees. I had being think of you all the whole trip up and down.
Cheng 8/2/2012

No comments:

Post a Comment