Thursday, March 21, 2013

First week in March.

 
Lukali School project had 40,000 Kwacha approved by CDF -
Country Development Fund and got the fund assigned in the bank, I was told. 
I had the School committees to come pick up the approval letter and get the building started from the DOE Planner - Ba Ian.   
Right before the COS conference, PLARD and DOF Provincial offices got the paper work going for Peace Corps to extend my service in Zambia another year to work for them on data collecting and building it to be usable information on how PLARD been help developing Luapula farming thru Peace Corps volunteers living in villages to monitor closely and all.....
 
With it in mind, I was still taking PCVs in Yasakwa -  Ba Quamar and Ba Taj, the husband and wife, to come with me when anything to do with Lukali School.  Just in any case, if I don't get to see the school built by myself.
March 1, 2013 we went to the City Planner - Ba Ian again and met more of his engineers.  The trip turned out also helping Ba Taj's shelter project in Yasakwa too.
After it, we visited PLARD office and Dr. Stevens gave us a ride to visit Ifiyongoli the fingerling production ponds.......
Ba Chiti is in charge of the facility and he had shown us to the lab...... 
to the chicken house...... 
to the gardens.... 
Fish ponds for various stages of fishes and fingerlings.....
We've got to visit their dam too....

 
It was a wonderful trip to Mansa and I've even got a free ride back to my village to get back to my fish breeding pond construction about 3/4 KM from my home. 
While working between ponds to ponds, I've got the phone message from PCMO "Please call....."  I did and the conversation was "Your extension has been denied by PC/Washington for you are physically not fit for another year of service in Zambia." This is a major disappointment and surprising considering I haven't had my COS physical exam yet. But it was PC/W's decision, while I wanted to remain in Zambia to see the completion of the Lukali School and be further help to my farmers, it was not to be.
 
 I called and texted to PLARD and DOF in Mansa about the extension being denied, since this was their plan to have me work with them for the following year. I was so surprised that all were more disappointed than myself....Thank you all for valued me that high, but not elsewhere.
 
After talking to PC Country Director in Lusaka that I have accepted that this is how it is to be...... in my business consulting career time, I did helped my clients a few times on the situation like this.....in order to maintain the business to move on and its reputation, the decision good or bad need be carried out as is....now I am on the other side of that business decision.....Doesn't matter right or wrong.
 
No matter what, I can't tell my farmers just yet.......they have to have their attention on the two days workshop that I fight for so hard since October......I will tell them at the end of the workshop.
  
Wednesday and Thursday we finally had a two days workshop at my insaka.....was meant to be one day for fishery and one day for small animal husbandry.  Ended we had two days' animal workshop. 
It was great for farmers to concentrate on all animals they have around their houses and more.....up to all details.......
At the beginning of the workshop, we started with an open air insaka......
 
 
At the end of each day we've got the wall built up with chart paper with all notes, that I hang them between on the posts........... 
The Fishery officers had other duty to attend to so we will have another fishery workshop another time.  I hope soon.
 
At the end of the two days workshop I had three young farmers stayed to help me to complete the banner we need to use the next day.......International Women's Day parade.
My camera worked up and told me "Write Protect" and not to take any pictures for the making of this banner.........hmm.......
 
I had to ask Rachel and Joe to take pictures for me while we were in the parade......It was just as good that I was in it with my lady farmers. 
 
 
Cheng 3/22/2013


No comments:

Post a Comment