Monday, October 15, 2012

Although I have one new group of farmers almost everyday....

While working with my four old groups of farmers on pond and feed managements,

I have almost one new group of farmers want to do fish ponds.....this group leader, the one in gum boots is the father of current DC of Samfya.....I am truly wondered, why so many retired people wanting to do more work, but not the younger ones......I am saying age between 20 to 40.......I know this is a minority group in age, but I still see people at these ages doing less than older ones......


Finally, I've got the chance to see my Lukali school, that my current counterpart, Ba Maxim and head of Dept of Forestry accompanied me for the trip, we met my old counterpart Ba Martin from Mabumba to lead the way there. 
 
This was the one I had run between District and Provincial Dept. of Education for so many times from March to June 2011 and was getting promised that the District will provide roof, windows, doors, tables and a teacher after the villagers had enough brick burnt........
Than my taxi accident happened in July, a new PCV came in to Yasakwa in September.....my counterpart, Ba Martin Kasompe took new PCV to District office and got told that the one who promised me all that goodies had retired so the case has been dropped.....
 
These villagers did not give up, they took the bricks burnt to build this little house and got Grade 1 to 4 going, with one volunteer teacher from their villages......they are having Grade 1 and 2 in the morning and Grade 3 and 4 in the afternoon for total 83 kids, there were about 70+ shown up while we visited. 
Some how Ba Martin had government provided 20 bags of cement and these villagers used all for this foundation.......they asked me if I will continue to run and check with the District and Provincial Dept. of Education to seek for the completion of this school building in near future......I promised that I will check with all my bosses (for I am in different district of Samfya now) and see what I can do for them...... 
At the closing of the visit, the Headman repeatedly to have students to recognize me and said that it was me to get this school started and thanking me with no ends.....can't help of being emotional here.....for I really did not do much enough......they have over 300 kids under age of 12 in 2011.... 
I had my old counterpart, Ba Martin to translate what I said, "It is your Headman's idea for you all to have a school here, plus all of your village friends and relatives had worked hard to get this school site cleared and bricks burnt, well and ichibusu (out house) done.  You all have to remember to study hard to show your appreciation to all these real people who are close by here to everyone of you." 
When we were pulling off from there, I was so emotional for some while.......
Back to Mabumba, my old site Yasakwa's town center, I met with the little ones that I had missed due to my taxi accident....first one was Ba Grace, she is Ba Martin's daughter and was about to be married, now a baby daughter in her arms.
Ba Hamagaba's son was so serious in noticing of my differences from them...... 
Ba Hafweti and whole family and friends had visited me once in late May to my post home and took me to play with them at a beach at Lake Bangweulu, so little Lillian came more closer to me while I was over nighted at their home........
 
What a blessing to have this chance to see old friends and they are all doing well......
Cheng   10/15/2012
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment